With Sydney’s diverse climate of high humidity and heavy rain storms, and many homes and apartments built on steep faces, many properties find it hard to deal with the effects of these challenging conditions. Along with inadequate ventilation the effects of warmth and water create the perfect environment for mould to build up and once this fungus moves in it will comfortably make itself at home and it will continue to spread until the origin is eliminated.

MAINTENANCE ADVICEMould on the ceiling caused from moisture

  1. Check your roof/guttering regularly for any damage, which can cause leaks.
  2. Fix any leaking plumbing fittings as soon as they become apparent.  The longer they are left, the more long term damage they can cause
  3. Check the condition of seals on all your windows and doors
  4. Make sure that all vents, exhaust fans and any air ducts in your property aren’t obstructed or blocked
  5. Wipe away excessive moisture on windows, floors and walls to keep your home as dry as possible
  6. Ensure that carpets/rugs are aired regularly and kept clean to prevent the build-up of mould.
  7. Keep an eye out for discoloration on your walls, ceilings and floors as this could be a result of a hidden water leak.
  8. If you believe the mould is caused by storm-water you should contact a qualified plumber to assess whether you need to upgrade your drainage system.

HEALTH RISKS

  1. Mould contains bacteria and allergens that when inhaled can lead to severe respiratory problems or even asthma attacks that could be fatal.
  2. Can cause bad irritation for some skin types, leaving people with visible rashes and red eyes.
  3. If enough mould spores are inhaled, it can have detrimental effect on your immune system
  4. Headaches, migraines and tiredness are all common symptoms when exposed to extensive amounts of mould spores

A mould free house is a happy and healthy home